As the fastest growing community and economic engine of Canada, we have the resources and energy to make your sporting dreams a reality.
From Canada’s largest recreational centre MacDonald Island Park to Wood Buffalo National Park’s over 17,000 square miles of unspoiled wilderness, this region offers an exhilarating range of indoor and outdoor pursuits for all ages and the extreme sport enthusiasts. While we are home to several outdoor rinks and campgrounds, Wood Buffalo has also pursued some innovative recreational ideas such as the outdoor gym located along the Birchwood Trails. A jewel by the bank of Snye River in city centre Fort McMurray, MacDonald Island Park is Canada’s largest community recreational centre—a world-class facility that has become the recreational and social heart and soul of Wood Buffalo. It is also the home to Suncor Community Leisure Centre and Fort McMurray Public Library.
With $327 million already invested in your Island experience with Suncor Leisure Center at MacDonald Island Park, the largest recreational center in North America:
- We shattered an AJHL attendance record, raised over $1,000,000 and made Canadian outdoor hockey history in only 8 weeks
- In July 2011 11,000 people for the biggest concert in Northern Alberta’s history with KISS. Tickets sold out in under an hour
- Our executive-led culinary team serves over 200,000 casual to gourmet delights a year in a world-class venue that features 100,000 square feet of meeting, gala, and conference space
- We welcome 1,800,000 visitors annually with upwards of 400 dedicated professionals; our experienced team will ensure your event is seamless
Shell Place: $127 million expansion project
And there’s more to come with the $127 million expansion project of Shell Place. This exciting expansion will feature:
- Outdoor Performance Center for seating up to 20,000 people.
- Multi-sport center with new sports fields for baseball, softball, hockey, football, lacross, rugby and soccer, from 2,300 – 10,300 seats and VIP boxes.
- 50,000 sq. ft. of conference and banquet facilities and more
Are you ready for 2015? Hosting the Western Canada Summer Games
Wood Buffalo is the first northern community to ever host the western Canada summer games. In August of 2015, Fort McMurray will draw in an estimated 14,000 visitors to witness the world-class event, enabling us to showcase our natural beauty and superior recreational and leisure amenities on a national level.
The games offers:
- 18 sports
- 2500 athletes, coaches & officials
- 3000 volunteers - representation of 3 northern territories & 4 western Canadian provinces
A world of potential & opportunities
Wiith an $8 million budget, 14,000 visitors, and potential national coverage of selected events; the business opportunities presented with Wood Buffalo hosting the Western Canada Summer Games are seemingly never-ending and unquestionably rewarding. Here are just a few opportunities:
- contracting/construction services
- food & beverage services
- car & bus rentals
- accommodation & automotive services
- promotional merchandise
- retail and much more…
Fort McMurray Tourism and Sports Tourism Steering Committee strives to:
- Enhance our region’s image and identity of being a sport destination
- An opportunity to generate new tourism business
- To achieve widespread national and international recognition for our region, our people, and our success stories Increase community and corporate collaboration and partnerships
- To capitalize on the many benefits of Sport Tourism in our country
- An opportunity to make a difference in Wood Buffalo.